Contact us today to start your application process.
The British High Commissioner in Cyprus has recently urged UK nationals living or who intend to start living on the island before the end of the transition period to apply for residency to ensure their residence rights shall be protected once the transition period is over. The transition period starts the day after the UK exits the E.U. until the 31st of December 2020, during this period free movement of UK nationals and their family members will continue.
The Withdrawal Agreement between Britain and the EU contains protection for UK nationals living in the EU, which includes the right to live, work and access various services e.g. Gesy healthcare system.
The clear message from the High Commission is that – ‘’These rights will be protected for as long as you live in Cyprus, provided that you are legally resident here by the end of 2020,”
Just a few key points to know:
- UK nationals and their family members who, by 31st of December 2020, have been continuously resident in Cyprus for 5 years will be eligible for permanent residence.
- UK nationals and their family members who already reside in Cyprus or arrive by the 31st of December 2020 but will not yet have been continuously resident in Cyprus for 5 years, will be eligible for residence, enabling them to stay until they have reached the 5-year threshold, allowing them to apply for permanent residence.
- UK nationals and their family members who are covered by the Withdrawal Agreement, will be able to continue their lives in Cyprus, with the same access to work, study, benefits etc subject to specific provisions stated in the Withdrawal Agreement.
- UK nationals who will not have completed 5 years of continuous residence in Cyprus, will be able to remain in Cyprus to build-up the 5 years continuous residence.
- Certain guidelines also for family members of UK nationals wishing to reside in Cyprus
- Holders of current resident documents MEU1, MEU2, MEU3 will be able to continue to use them as a proof of residence rights in Cyprus.
- Applications received up until the end of transition period will be examined on the basis of the current free movement rules.
- After the end of the transition period, holders of residence documents and eligible person arriving in Cyprus will have the right, upon application, to receive a new type of residence document
BUT – UK citizens who want to come to Cyprus after the 31st of December 2020 will need to meet Cyprus immigration rules.
What we handle:
- Fill in all required forms for you
- Advise you on the correct procedure to proceed with based on your status and situation
- Confirm your documentation is accurate and appropriate for the procedure
- Submit the forms to government authorities
- Liaise and have direct contact with all government authorities evaluating your application from start to finish
Contact us today to start your application
Address: Griva Digeni 13, Megaro Stavrakis, Office 501, 6030, Larnaca, Cyprus
Telephone: +357 24 623 800 Fax: +357 24 332 991
Email: [email protected]